Sacre Bleu: A Comedy d'ArtSacre Bleu: A Comedy d'Art by Christopher Moore

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Very witty book about the muse that inspired the Master Painters.



View all my reviews


This is the kind of book that you like to curl up to in the dog days of summer and just enjoy. The underlying premise is that someone or something is driving the famous French Master artists crazy -- for surely Vincent van Gogh didn't just shoot himself and then run a mile for help. I especially loved listening to this book, because I love hearing all the French names and places and phrases, pronounced just right. It reminded me of that summer years ago that I got to "study" law in Lyon, France (which is greatly underappreciated) and visit the United Nations, and the soon to be formed European Economic Community. We only had to show up on Tuesday/Thursday mornings and it was pass fail, so we mostly toured and traveled.

A book made me want to go to France in the first place, and I have never lost my fascination for it or forgotten those memories, including the art and the witty, crazy people. This book was right on for transporting me right back to France.

If you love art, too, Sacre Bleu is a fun, irreverent look at the role of the artist's muse and the origins and importance of the sacred color of blue in the work of the Masters. And it made me wonder: what/ who is our muse, Paris, Texas? For surely we have one, we are such a creative, artistic, loud, noisy, opinionated, unique community.


(Note about ratings: 3 means it is a good book. 5 is supposed to come around once in a blue moon, but if there were that few 5 star books, frankly, I'd find another hobby. I try to select only books that I will love, but it doesn't always work out. For me, a five star book is so well written that I love it beginning to end (not to be confused with a happy ending). A four star book is one that I love but the ending falls flat or the writing isn't top. I thought this book would be at least four star for me, but the ending fell far short of what this writer could do and just seemed a common place modern wrap up. Many people feel differently, and this book is so unique that if you are interested I think it is worth your time.)

Comments

Popular Posts