Perfect Saturday in Paris, Texas

We all occasionally have them, perfect Saturdays. I had one not too long ago, when I had no duties to anyone but myself.

Naturally, I started my day at the farmer's market.



(Photo taken from Farmer's Market Facebook page, go check it out). The fresh peaches were outstanding. As were the coffee, bread, goat cheese, tomatoes, fresh veggies and friends, of course.

And then I had time to go to the library where I picked up a few new books that I was interested in.

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake

I've noticed this book getting mentioned here and there as "worthy" and find that it is, so much so that I don't want to rush through it. Good girl talk - great girl talk, and I'm all for some good girl talk. Here are some excerpts from the chapter called "Stuff."

* * *
And that's not even counting the stuff in my closet. One day I peered inside and realized it looked like it belonged to someone with multiple personality disorder. The bohemian look, the sharp suits, the frilly dresses. Those days are behind me, and I finally know who and how I'm dressing. I'm dressing a person who has eighteen pairs of black pants and eleven pairs of black pumps. Of course, that number is illusory, since it includes the black pants I never felt looked great but purchased on sale, the pair that never seem to be the right length, and the two pairs that fit funny. Not too big or too small, just funny. Naturally there are two pairs of the shoes that I wear all the time, because they're comfortable, and one pair that I wear on occasion because they are great-looking and my toes don't entirely go numb for at least three hours.

* * *

It's Thoreau who wrote about this most indelibly and directly: "Simplify, simplify." . . . Tocqueville was more expansive: "Americans cleave to the things of the world as if assured they will never die. They clutch everything but hold nothing fast, and lose grip as they hurry after some new delight."

* * *
My God, Tocqueville! That was almost two hundred years ago, and here we still are. Yes, I'm going to love this book.

Another book I found on the new shelf at the library is one that interests me a bit, about the current state of the military.

Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power

Here is what part of the cover says: Sensible yet provocative, dead serious yet seriously funny, Drift will reinvigorate a "loud and jangly" political debate about how, when, and where to apply America's strength and power--and who gets to make those decisions.

I'm not sure I'm going to agree with the book, I'm not even sure I'm going to like it, but I sure do want to exercise my wit in this area. I've recently watched yet another generation of boys go off to fight this war, and I don't know what to think. After peeking in and finding some pretty broadly stated conclusions at the beginning of the book, I'm also not sure if this author is going to be able to effectively engage me in the debate, but I am willing to try and see.

I also picked some books for my teen daughter to read, and will let you know about those next time, as I scored some brownie points there.

I ended my jaunt at Vital Beat for a fruit smoothie, so it was a perfect Saturday morning in the hood.



(Photo from webpage). Thanks, ladies and all! Healthy food for brain and body, all the way around.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Paris, Texas

Comments

Popular Posts