Lincoln. At this very time.

Movies are good for your savvy, too. Apparently, according to the data, they engage your mind in story engagement. They take you as you are, in that deep dark movie theater and lift you into other lives, other times, other places, then they drop you back into reality, looking no different on the outside, but utterly changed on the inside.

At least, the good ones do. Actually, the bad ones do, too, so I say choose wisely.

I'm proud to say that my husband and I just encountered such a movie. Of course, it was based upon a book:  Team of Rivals.  (A very small portion of the book, but what a portion!)


Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln


Lincoln. Go see it. Go see it. Go see it. Do not tarry.



 Here is a trailer for the movie that goes back in time and finally settles on the movie, with some scenes that show Lincoln's immense trials that he faced while pushing for the amendment.  Go check it out, then come right back!


Lincoln Trailer 


The movie really is that exciting.  So, I hope you go see it.


And when you are done, consider our current political crises. Call or email your Congressional Representative. Surely, if such an event could occur with all the political division of that day, Congress can do something now to save us from this next "self inflicted" recession. It doesn't matter which side of the issue you are on, compromise is that important. The time is now. I have watched so many of you in this great recession dig deep and face difficult choices with bravery, and based upon the fourth quarter in real estate sales in our area, I believe we are working our way out of it. So this crises is coming at the worst time possible to a people who have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. I am one of those Washington outsiders that simply does not understand how an agreement has not already been reached on the fiscal cliff crises.

But this movie, Lincoln.  This movie has given me hope, although I do not compare our current crises in any way to the importance of the crises at that time, and though I do recognize that it was created in Hollywood, which takes the history of the victor to the history of whatever sells.   Regardless, we are in crises, and it's a very important one. If they could do it, our leaders can, too.

But, even without the politics of this very day, I'm thankful for the chance to have seen Lincoln.  And I'm thankful for the man. I have hope for our country yet.

Now, if you don't know what I am talking about, regardless of who you voted for or your political leanings, please take a little time to educate yourself on what is at stake. Watch this Presidential speech, or just google "fiscal crisis" and educate yourself through your chosen venue.  But I believe today's speech is accurate and, more importantly, is an plea for bipartisanship.

December 28, 2012 Presidential Speech

 I hope you go see the movie, or read the book, and I hope you take the time in the next three days to contact your rep.  Rally time!




Comments

Popular Posts