Honorable Mentions . . .

It's been fun to hear your feedback from my new "Book Briefs" column in The Paris News. Everywhere I go, someone is telling me what book they are reading or what book they have read lately that they have enjoyed. I also love the activity on Goodreads and encourage any serious readers that haven't joined to sign up.

Since none of us can read every book out there, I thought I would occasionally list what I hear/see you all reading as "Honorable Mentions." So here are the first Honorable Mentions:


Emily Kirkman says "Killing Lincoln" is like reading fiction. It was ranked 10th this week in Publisher Weekly's best seller list for Non-Ficton, which is the lowest lately.


Barbara Wilson and I both love historical fiction. She's recently enjoyed "The Shoemaker's Wife," which has surprised the industry with its staying power in the best seller list. It ranks 8th this week with Publisher's Weekly.


Dr. Lance Wyche was surprised that I had heard of "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks," and in fact I have felt a little guilty for not having read it. This book had major staying power on best seller lists and I saw it everywhere for a long time. It also won these awards: Ambassador Book Award (2011), Goodreads Choice Award for Nonfiction and Debut Author, Nominee for Favorite Book, Favorite Heroine (2010), Wellcome Trust Book Prize (2010), Puddly Award for Nonfiction (2011).

Lance says it gets a little technical sometimes, but that it is an incredible read. According to the publisher, one question the book raises is: " . . if [Henrietta Lacks] was so important to medicine, why couldn’t her children afford health insurance?" Hmmm. May have to go back and read this one.

Comments

Popular Posts