Confessions of a Book Snob -- October

Although I have been too busy to post, I have still be reading, as well as reviewing books on Goodreads and with the Paris News.  In case you missed it, here is the Book Review in Paris Life for October.  Clearly, I was still thinking about dancing!  Click the link to read with the pictures and online at The Paris News.

Confessions of a DANCING Book Snob



It probably surprises no one that while competing in this year’s Dancing With the Stars (raising money for Lamar County Crime Stoppers), I read books on ballroom / performance dancing.
Low and behold, I was surprised by how much I liked them.
My husband calls me a book snob, probably for good reason. I’ve always turned my nose up at books that are by celebrities but are actually written by “ghost writers.” Why? It is just something about the publishing industry that drives me crazy. Don’t put your name on a book if you didn’t actually write it.

But the truth is, these books wouldn’t get written without ghost writers and they do serve a purpose, as my experience shows.

I read a newly published book by dancer elite Derek Hough titled: “Taking the Lead: Lessons from a Life in Motion.” I liked it so much, I also read Cheryl Burke’s “Dancing Lessons: How I found Passion and Potential on the Dance Floor and in Life.”

Honestly, participating in this dance contest, where the attendants actually vote on you based on 60 seconds of your best, humble efforts, was one of the most nerve wracking things I’ve ever done. My friends and acquaintances were surprised at this, because they know I love being in front of a crowd. But performing for purely artistic reasons and performing for votes, even if it is all for a good cause, are very different things. Also, I didn’t know how to “perform” ballroom dance and really wanted performance to be a part of my dances. Basically, I needed some help facing my fears.

The books were formatted differently.

Burke chose a particular dance for each chapter, and fit it into her life, as well as telling stories from her DWTS experiences, weaving all of that into inspiration.

Hough’s book followed the more traditional memoir life chapters, but made sure to wrap each chapter up with a “leading lesson” and a reflection. He also tied in the lessons with some of his mirror ball winning partners’ dance struggles (which strangely mirrored mine), and then gave inside information and tips on ballroom dances. The chapters were short, to the point, and easy to digest. Hough isn’t going to win any literary awards for his ghost written book, but I’ll always remember it.

What did I learn?

Anyone can dance. Everyone has something to overcome. The only disability you have is in your head. Figure out your passion and everything else will fall into place. “Fear is a great motivator... Go ahead and be scared. Get out of your comfort zone. Align yourself with your fear and use it to propel you to progress. Look your demons in the eye and kick ‘em to the curve... Life is a dance but it’s much more than mastering your steps. It’s pushing your boundaries, shattering your limits and exploding in a breathtaking burst of light.”

I learned that I need to not be such a book snob about celebrity ghost written books.

Comments

Popular Posts