HomeHome by Toni Morrison
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this book more than I have loved a book in a long time.  There are so many things to discuss about this book that I choose  it for my first Book Review at the Paris Public Library on October 4, 2012 at 6:30.  This is a short book, so I invite you to read this and come.

I thought I was going to get a "vet returns home and experiences racism" book.  I did get that, but so much more.  Having grown up on a farm, and in a small town, and in the south, this book evoked many memories for me, except through the unique experience, voice and eyes of black men and women.  Morrison very subtly shows the truth of pre-civil rights era racism in America, while she plants you inside of the lives of a brother and sister that you instantly care about.   This book reminds me in small ways of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Color Purple, and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.  It reminds me of stories I have heard right here in Paris, Texas.  But most of all, it evokes the full-circle feeling of HOME.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts