Stephen King steps into history, in a fantastical thriller way

11/22/6311/22/63 by Stephen King
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Excellent book that remains on the best seller list AND is in the quarterfinals of Audible's best of 2011. I like how Audible does it, because everyone actually gets a period of time to vote. And I think this book proves (again) that King is the master of vernacular! I love history and time travel, because it helps the reader explore the times through the eyes of our times. I'm not into slasher/thrillers so don't typically read King, but I do like his writing so I am glad that he ventured into this area and with this exact topic which is so important to our history. The first part of the book had a little bit of a thriller/slasher element, true to King's genre, but it all tied in. If you don't like that kind of thing you may be tempted to give up on it, but I say push through, it will end soon enough and get to the real story. I am among the many now living who weren't alive when this tragedy happened -- yet I have the images seared into my brain. I wanted to know more and this book helped me with that.
King obviously did his research on this topic and I predict that his thoroughness and execution will keep "11/22/63" on must read lists for a long time. As silly as it sounds, scientists still debate "time travel" and King's exploration of the butterfly theory of time travel was very interesting. I also loved the interwoven love story and the ending.
View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts