Unsweet Tooth

I believe in positivity.  That is not to say that I am not a realist, because I am.   I am just a romantic realist.  So I don't always voice my negativity.  (Who am I kidding, I am a lawyer, I get paid to voice my realistic doubts.  Still, I give an opinion, and you are free to listen, or not.  Just let me give power to my voice).

Anyway, I like to post my positive reviews, but that doesn't mean they are all positive.  So, I thought I would let you in on a negative review for once.   Here it is:

Sweet ToothSweet Tooth by Ian McEwan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


1. I'm not British enough to get this book.  2. As a woman, I had a really hard time buying the female voice and actions.  3.  Just no.  No no no.  Weird book.  4.  Amanda Green, you might like it because you are super smart and you never miss any tap steps.  The rest of us, our brains wonder about too much.


There it is.  My negativity.  I was gratified at bookclub to hear similar responses.  Here is what the book is supposed to be about, if you are interested, from the publisher's blurb:  

In this stunning new novel, Ian McEwan’s first female protagonist since Atonement is about to learn that espionage is the ultimate seduction.

Cambridge student Serena Frome’s beauty and intelligence make her the ideal recruit for MI5. The year is 1972. The Cold War is far from over. England’s legendary intelligence agency is determined to manipulate the cultural conversation by funding writers whose politics align with those of the government. The operation is code named “Sweet Tooth.”

Serena, a compulsive reader of novels, is the perfect candidate to infiltrate the literary circle of a promising young writer named Tom Haley. At first, she loves his stories. Then she begins to love the man. How long can she conceal her undercover life? To answer that question, Serena must abandon the first rule of espionage: trust no one.

Once again, Ian McEwan’s mastery dazzles us in this superbly deft and witty story of betrayal and intrigue, love and the invented self.


There it is!  You decide.  I'll be interested to hear your verdict.


View all my reviews



Comments

Popular Posts