Intense Coming of Age WWII Spy Novel

Code Name Verity


by Elizabeth Wein

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Click the picture or title for your copy from BookPeople in Austin, Texas, or Paris Public Library has this on CD.

(Via Audio, but now I now want to read it!) Well written unique book about two young English women who become friends despite social class difference because of World War II, which took them to their destinies.  The book is told through their journals, so you get to see the story unfold through different view points.  I was hooked from the first couple of sentences, which, along with the title, tells all:

"I AM A COWARD

I wanted to be heroic and I pretended I was. I have always been good at pretending.  I spent the first twelve years of my life at the Battle of Stirling Bridge with my five big brothers, and even though I am a girl they let me be William Wallace, who is supposed to be one of our ancestors, because I did the most rousing battle speeches."

(Now just try to put that down!) A true spy-coming of age novel, chalk full of historical and literary references.  I cannot for the life of me figure out what book this is like, but I would say that if you liked "The Book Thief" and if you like intrigue, you will like this. 





Comments

Popular Posts